Search This Blog

Monday 9 July 2012

Update on me

I have been neglecting this blog but I hope to start posting more recipes in the next few weeks.

I am now 25+4 weeks pregnant, so in less than 2 weeks I will be in my final trimester! I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes so have to test my blood sugar levels one hour after every meal, I have been doing this since Saturday and have had some good and bad results. However, I feel this week I will have to see what works and what doesn't. For example, I already know I cannot have mullerlights as my blood sugar was very high after having this for my breakfast. I have been told to cut down my carbs, eat smaller portions and not eat any obvious sugars.

I have now gained 12lbs  in weight so I am expecting to gain maybe another 10 in the last three months of my pregnancy, this would be less than the average gain which is 28lbs. However, maybe with my reduced sugar and carb intake it might not be as much.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure your doctor has gone over this, but if it were me I'd get lists of foods that are low glycemic index and start from there. One such reference I found was here (Harvard university):
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

    I'm sure there are many more.

    I've been curious to check my own insulin response to what I eat, just for my own knowledge and not for fear of any diabetes. I have a hunch that eating a large volume of potato chips/crisps is the worst spike-inducer of insulin there is for me, because I often feel sluggish afterward.

    I think if you were to go mostly non-processed and avoid straight up sugar snacks that you'd see a big improvement. I think I'd avoid most bread-like things unless you can really get the 100% whole wheat and even then maybe be sparing. Probably the lowest GI carbs will be from vegetables and that'd be your best bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see a consultant until Wednesday so guess I will get told exactly what to eat and what to avoid. I'll have a look for 100% wholewheat there is a farm near us that has a really good shop where they bake their own bread so maybe they might have some. I could also try and make my own, well get my Mum to do it in her breadmaker. When I've had wholemeal bread my levels have been fine.

      I've ran out of strips and needles to test my blood yesterday as my Doctors still haven't signed the prescription and the hospital only gave me enough for the weekend. The doctors receptionist didn't seem to realise how important it was so now I won't have as much data to go to my appointment with.

      Delete
    2. I'd imagine you could go to a local pharmacy (or as you call it, the "chemist"?) and find some insulin measuring tools. That's what I was thinking of doing. Poking my fingers for blood isn't appealing but I'm driven by the science! There are digital/computerized ones too.

      I've made my own 100% whole wheat before, it's not that hard, especially for you with all the cooking you do. I enjoy it better than white bread for sure but I'm lazy and so I buy most of my breads. I don't think it rises as easily as white bread though so sometimes the breads are more dense. Still I feel that they have more flavor to them.

      Delete